So this is my contribution to the Colette Hawthorn party:
Overall, I think that the dress is wearable, but I just COULD NOT get the thing right! I feel the need to point out that this had absolutely nothing to do with the drafting or the instructions – as always, they were impeccable – but more to do with dopiness on my part. To be honest, I’m not sure that the longest heatwave we’ve had for years was really the best time to try to use my brain to tackle lining AND my first Full Bust Adjustment, but there we are.
Usually, I’d just be lazy and grade between three different sizes on a pattern as my measurements vary so greatly but, as Sarai so kindly wrote a tutorial for the FBA I thought I’d give it a go. It wasn’t nearly as painful as I thought it might be, but I think I still need practise. I managed to follow the instructions easily and made up a bodice that seemed about right, but when I tried to add the recommended extra side dart, my brain began to frazzle. I ended up with a very unsightly bunch of material over the bust point, and I couldn’t for the life of me work out what I needed to do to get rid of it! So I just went with the single dart which, while not the wonderful shape I was hoping for, is perfectly acceptable.
The material I used for the dress is a really cute cotton spotty eyelet combo I got from the Goldhawk Road on a Fabric Extravaganza I embarked on a few months back. It was originally going to be a little shift dress, but then I saw the Hawthorn and insisted on squeezing it out of the length I had – even if it meant cutting the back skirt piece into two! Although luckily, you can’t really see it:
I thought that a lining was needed for this dress as I’m far too lazy to find a vest every time I want to wear it, and to add to my laziness I simply bought some very thin polycotton and cut the bodice and skirt out again, treating them as one layer. I know I should have done the lining properly but actually it could look a lot work. I do have a little bunching around the front of the bodice where I didn’t quite sew my darts properly but I obviously felt that I could live with it if it meant I didn’t have to unpick everything!*
I feel like I’m being really mean about this dress, and that’s not fair to it. Sure, I could have spent more time on the construction but I was so desperate to be able to wear it that I took short cuts. Even still I think it’s cute, I think it’s playful, and I think it will get worn. I do have another version planned so, now I know how it’s put together, I should be able to get it perfect!
*I’m not usually this lazy, I swear! No, seriously. Don’t look at me like that.